Sunday, April 18, 2010

This is it!

It was green and brown. Which only confirmed what I’d been suspected since midnight the night before; I was definitely sick. The mystery goo I’d hacked into the sink displayed irrefutable evidence, as if my dizziness and my general feeling that I’d been beaten with a large tuna weren’t enough to make me believe it. I hate being sick more than almost anything else I can think of; what’s the point of it anyway? I just end up wrapping myself up in a blanket on the couch, staring gloomily out the window, and spending way too much energy consuming copious amounts of tea and water in a futile attempt to drown the evil micro-bugs that got me into my sad situation in the first place.
But, now that I’ve woken up gloriously free of all indications of illness, I realize that my forced hiatus from life the past few days was a good thing. For one thing, it gave me a chance to slow down and relax. Amid studying for midterms and finals, and a whirlwind-weekend family visit, I hadn’t been able to stop and take a breather. Also, I had the opportunity to think about how much has changed this past year, and how truly blessed I am.
A little less than a year ago, I was accepted into the AECP program, a commissioning program through the Air Force where they send me to college, pay for my degree, and I graduate as an officer. Because I joined the Air Force two weeks out of high school, and because my boyfriend of two and a half years, Aaron, also made the program, I was more than ecstatic for the opportunity to experience college for the first time. I moved to Boulder, Colorado; a place filled with an abundance of natural beauty and plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors! I ran my first half marathon with Team in Training and will be running my first full-marathon in a few weeks. I’ve nearly made it through my first year of college, and managed to make decent grades while not missing out on the amazing restaurants and activities the city has to offer. And last March, Aaron asked me to marry him! (Which was the reason for the family trip last weekend, Aaron needed to meet the rest of my family. They absolutely adored him, and who could blame them?)
When I stop and think about it, I’ve been incredibly fortunate, and had a multitude of kindness placed at my feet. More and more this past year, I’ve had the burning desire to pay back the great karmic favor. My ultimate goal is to be as kind to the environment, to others (both people and animals), and to myself as I can. I want to create this blog to encourage others to do the same, and show that kindness begets more kindness and breeds happiness. I’ve never felt better about my life than when I choose to do kind things; my half-marathon with Team in Training, when I decided to become a vegetarian last Easter, and when I said yes to Aaron’s beautiful marriage proposal (more on that later!) have been the three most physically, emotionally, and spiritually rewarding decisions I’ve made this year. I’m excited to begin my effort in earnest to be a kind person, and I hope to motivate others to do the same! The weather is gorgeous this Sunday morning, and I’m going to do myself a bit of kindness by taking a short run in the sunshine.
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Phew. Paragraph breaks, please!

    And keep on being kind! I look forward to reading your blog to see how things are going.

    ReplyDelete